MicroEJ offers a comprehensive toolset to build the embedded software of a device. The toolset covers two levels in device software development:
- MicroEJ SDK for device firmware development
- MicroEJ Studio for application development
The firmware will generally be produced by the device OEM, it includes all device drivers and a specific set of MicroEJ functionalities useful for application developers targeting this device.
Using the MicroEJ SDK tool, a firmware developer will produce two versions of the MicroEJ binary, each one able to run applications created with the MicroEJ Studio tool:
- A MicroEJ Firmware binary to be flashed on OEM devices;
- A Virtual Device which will be used as a device simulator by application developers.
Using the MicroEJ Studio tool, an application developer will be able to:
- Import Virtual Devices matching his target hardware in order to develop and test applications on the Simulator;
- Deploy the application locally on an hardware device equipped with the MicroEJ Firmware;
- Package and publish the application on a MicroEJ Forge Instance, enabling remote end users to install it on their devices. For more information about MicroEJ Forge, please consult https://www.microej.com/product/forge.