The Image Engine provides runtime decoders which allow the dynamic loading of images without using the Image Generator (see Image Generator). The two main advantages are:
- The original image is embedded as a resource with the MicroEJ Application.
- The original image size in bytes is often smaller than a pre-generated image (especially in PNG mode).
Process overview (see too Functional Description)
- The user specifies the images to embed as regular resources.
- The original files are embedded as resources with the MicroEJ Application. The original files’ data are linked into the FLASH memory.
- When the Image Engine Core calls the decoder to load an image, it transforms the image into a raw format that is compatible with the display format. It may need some additional RAM to store some working buffers. At the end of the decoding step, the working buffers are freed: Only the decoded image memory needs to be retained.
- When the Image Engine Core calls the decoder to free the image resources, the decoder frees the decoded image buffer area.
The UI extension provides two internal Image Decoders modules:
- PNG Decoder: a full PNG decoder that implements the PNG format (
https://www.w3.org/Graphics/PNG). Regular, interlaced, indexed (palette) compressions are handled. The RAM used by the decoder is allocated outside the Java heap.
- BMP Monochrome Decoder: .bmp format files that embed only 1 bit per pixel can be decoded by this decoder. The RAM used by the decoder to store the decoded image is outside the Java heap.
Some additional decoders can be added. Implement the function
LLDISPLAY_EXTRA_IMPL_decodeImage to add a new decoder (see
LLDISPLAY_EXTRA: Display Extra Features).
The implementation must respect the following rules:
LLDISPLAY_SImagestructure with the image characteristics: width, height and format.
The output image format might be different than the expected format (given as argument). In this way, the display module will perform a conversion after the decoding step. During this conversion, an out of memory error can occur because the final RAW image cannot be allocated.
Allocates the RAW image data calling the function
LLDISPLAY_UTILS_allocateRawImage. This function will allocates the RAW image data space in the display working buffer according the RAW image format and size.
Decodes the image in the allocated buffer.
Waiting the end of decoding step before returning.
- Image Engine Core module (see Image Engine Core)
The Image Decoders modules are some additional modules to the Display module. The decoders belong to distinct modules, and either or several may be installed.
In the platform configuration file, check UI > Image PNG Decoder to install the runtime PNG decoder. Check UI > Image BMP Monochrome Decoder to install the runtime BMP monochrom decoder.
The MicroUI Image APIs are available in the class
ej.microui.display.Image. There is no specific API that uses a
runtime image. When an image has not been pre-processed (see
Image Generator), the MicroUI Image APIs
createImage* will load this image.